FORT DOBBS Grand Opening of the rebuild Fort Dobbs. Fort Dobbs was the only permanent frontier provincial fort in the colony of North Carolina. Construction began in late 1755 and was completed one year later. It served as the military headquarters for (approximately fifty men) as well as a safe-haven for settlers. The fort was attacked on the night of February 27, 1760 when more than sixty Cherokees were repelled. The garrison suffered two men wounded, as well as having one colonial boy killed. The Cherokee were reported to have lost 10-12 men killed and wounded. The neglected fort was in ruins by 1766 having been used for ten years.